Friday, March 6, 2009

The week in review . . .

WOW! I can't believe it's Friday afternoon . . . and at the same time I feel like this week has been at least 2 weeks long.

Let's review, shall we? I'll go backwards and see how well my memory is working.

Today Jacob is home from school sick. A big bummer . . . his class went on a field trip today and he was sad to miss it. He came home from school yesterday not feeling too hot . . . actually that's all wrong, he was feeling quite hot! He laid down and almost instantly fell asleep. He got up for a while in the evening and watched a movie with the family and then went back to bed and slept all night. He woke up in the middle of the night and I checked on him and took his temp . . . 102, poor bud. So today he read for an hour or so this morning, had lunch and then took a nap (unheard of, he must really be sick). He seems pretty perky now and isn't feeling too warm, though I haven't taken his temp again. Joey loves having him here to play with, though, so it's been an ok day anyway. Wait, I took a little blogging break and now he is napping again and feels pretty toasty. He's got some more Advil in him and is snoozing!

Kirby is a workshop speaker at the Set Apart Women's Conference this weekend. He had 3 groups today and will have another 3 tomorrow. I know he'll do a great job! I forget the exact title of his workshop, but it's something about faith and finances. Maybe next year they'll ask him to be the keynote speaker . . . :)

On night this week . . . I don't remember which one . . . I woke up about 2 when Anna was fussin' and you'll never guess who was laying next to me! . . . Ready? It was my husband! This is amazing because the usual answer would be Joe, but he was still in his own bed! Amazing, I tell you! Being the light sleeper that Joe is, though, he woke up when Kirb was leaving for work about 5:15 . . . actually, he doesn't go to work at that hour, he goes to the Y. He tries to get there when they open at 5:30 and get his workout for the day in before getting to work by about 7ish. So, Kirbs' leaving woke Joe up, so he came and joined me then. But, basically we were Joe-less all night. Maybe it will even happen again once or twice before he goes off to college kindergarten. Actually, in the cold Minnesota winter it doesn't even bother me too much. He's like sleeping with a little space heater . . . it's kinda nice!

Yesterday {Anna and} I went with a couple of my friends to check out a new little shop on Grand Ave. We had a fun morning together! Anna was a great trooper and I think she had a little fun shoppin' with the girls too!

Speaking of the banana-boo, she's walking up a storm these days. She still crawls is she's going for speed and is in a hurry, but she is more than capable of walking all the way across the room and can even recover from being knocked around a little by a stray sibling who isn't watching where they are going. Here she is walking along and then stopping to ponder a little something . . . she is quite an intellectual, you see!


My good friend, Shawna, had pretty major surgery on Wednesday so I've been busy praying for and thinking about her this week. She had some cysts on her ovaries that they suspected might be cancerous and were otherwise giving her TONS of trouble and pain. Well, praise God! there was no cancer. There was, however, "one of the worst cases" of endometriosis that her OB had ever seen. The surgeon said it was amazing that she could even walk. The pain should have been debilitating. So, she has a major incision to heal from, but in a month or two she should be as good as new. What a relief, an answer to prayer and a reason to celebrate! Here we are together with our sweet babies just a couple months ago:

On Wednesday morning my dad left for Connecticut for about a month . . . he decided on Tuesday that he wanted to go. That's so like him! Anyway, we were thankful that he arrived safely yesterday after spending lots of hours in his little car with no heat. Thankfully he had his bike (of course!) and his tools to keep him company on the trip. He will be doing some work on a barn that my uncle, Den, is building!

The birthday excitement is in the air around here, no doubt. Now that it's March things start to ramp up since all 5 of our kids have their birthdays in about a 10-week span of time . . . beginning on March 23rd when we have 2 birthdays (Jacob & Rebekah!) and ending with LJ's birthday on June 6th. There are plans being made constantly . . . we'll see how many of them come to fruition and how many are more dreams than reality. There are wish lists that need constant editing and re-thinking. Oh, the excitement!!

Then there was the "technical difficulty" that sucked up most of my Monday, but that's in a whole different post!

I went to the library the other day (surprise!) and it just makes me sad. Only a couple more weeks and my library will close for a year! Yikes, I'm not quite sure what I'll do. I mean, they'll have a temporary location and all, but it's not as close to our house and I just feel like crabbing about it a little. Our library (within walking distance from our house where I am at least twice most weeks!) is the busiest library in the whole state of Minnesota and is planning an expansion project. Really people . . . don't you have a library by your house too? I don't quite get it! But, as I say, I lived without my Target for a year and survived, I can survive this too I imagine! So, here's to bigger and better libraries in 2010! I'll be there as many times as I can between now and the end of the month, but it's already not the same place. Shelves are missing and it looks different . . . emptier. And one of the very sweet librarian there just died. She also happens to be the sister of Jacob's {4th grade} teacher. So, I'm sad for more than one reason when I go there these final weeks.

I hope your week was good and I hope this one to come holds a little more normalcy, at least for me!

2 comments:

  1. I hope you are all feeling better! So glad to hear Shana's news!!! I was wondering how you felt about the library change. I'm so bummed as well! Like you said though we lived without our Target for a year so, I think we can do this too! I will miss visiting the big red building for a year though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments . . . they make my day!