Friday, March 20, 2009

Flashback Friday . . . a story, not a picture

The year is 2001. It is late fall. {I imagine most of you can remember the fall of 2001 and picture the goings on in your life at that time . . . travel back there with me, will you?} I have found myself (quite surprisingly) pregnant again . . .

'Really? Because I already have a baby right now and don't really need another one quite yet', I think to myself as I look at a positive pregnancy test while cuddling with my 7-month-old daughter.

Jacob is 2 and a half at this time. The whole time I was pregnant Jacob was hoping and praying for a boy . . . and completely believing their was actually a boy baby in there (he already had a sister, you see!). He called this baby I was carrying "Simon" . . . "Simon Ray", if you want to get specific. He walked around for months (he decided to name him that just a couple weeks after we told him we were having a baby, and he stuck with it throughout THE WHOLE pregnancy, which I find kind of amazing considering he was 2!) telling people that soon he would have a brother, "Simon Ray Stoll". Everyone knew Simon, Jacob talked about him BY NAME all the time . . . and even though Simon was not a name we had considered before that and I don't think it was even a name Jacob had ever heard (we didn't know anyone -- and still don't -- named Simon) apart from stories about Simon Peter in the Bible. But Simon it was! He was insistent! Throughout my pregnancy the name grew on me and I started thinking of our baby as Simon Ray Stoll too (Jacob always said the full name when talking about the baby). Since I was also completely convinced the baby was a boy, the little one in my belly became Simon to me! . . . Although we were actually planning to name a boy Jonah Carl.

Well, come June of 2002 I went to the hospital to deliver and finally meet my little "Simon" and lo and behold something was wrong with him . . . no penis! Go figure. We named our little girl Lydia Joy instead and she is great! It took Jacob a little while to get used to the idea that Simon Ray Stoll was not, in fact, a boy and that he should call her Lydia.

1 comment:

  1. HA! That is a great story--one your children will have fun remembering later. I was a little shocked too when I discovered I was pregnant with a 6 month old! For a long time we called the little bean--"Lunch Break!" Needless to say--after my second daughter was born Daddy didn't get any more lunch breaks!

    Thanks for stopping by and entering our giveaway!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments . . . they make my day!