Wednesday, February 18, 2009

. . . and in other news:

1. The blanket of clean, fresh, beautiful whiteness that fell last night is SO much prettier than what it is covering up! It makes me happy! Thanks, Lord, for the fresh new look you gave my world [I'll appreciate it while I can, I know it won't be this beautiful for too long.] We happened to be coming home last night right when it was falling. It was absolutely everywhere in the sky, the whole world seemed to be thick and heavy with the snow . . . just completely full of it. It was the most beautiful thing I'd seen in a while. The kids hung out in the dark when we arrived at home catching big, huge flakes of it on their sweet little tongues. What a fun way to end the day! [Which unfortunately was followed by some parental nagging . . . and yelling about brushing teeth and cooperation and other bedtime-related things!!]

2. We've caught 6 mice to date, but haven't caught one in 3 or 4 days even with multiple baited traps in the basement. I'm starting to get hopeful that we've got them all, but I won't hold my breath quite yet.

3. This week marks the 5th anniversary of Evelyn's new heart. How happy and deeply grateful we are to have her in our lives! Happy Heart Day, sweet girl! You are definitely one in a million. [In case you don't know, Evelyn is the daughter of my good friend Ing and also Rebekah's BFF.]

4. The kid's had Monday and Tuesday off of school. Monday for President's Day and Tuesday for workshops and conference prep. It was very fun [mostly] to have them home a little extra. We mainly hung out and relaxed at home: played outside, watched movies, read some great books and just loved the extra time together! Today it's back to reality.

5. We [Kirbs & me] were wounded and hurt by someone's words the other day. Both of us are feeling all torn up inside over it and generally just pretty yucky. It makes me sad . . . good thing for the pretty snow! The first part of the adage "sticks and stones can break my bones" is true, but the reality is that the second part is not. The words hurt just as much and, unfortunately, don't heal as quickly or completely in most cases. What I wouldn't give for a broken arm instead of this yucky feeling in my gut. It is a good reminder to me of the power of our words and the care I need to take with mine.
The tongue is a small things, but what enormous damage it can do. A great forest can be set on fire by one tiny spark. (James 3:5 TLB)
I hope I will, from now on, be even more mindful of what I say. Of it's necessity [let's face it, I say tons of stuff each day that I just plain don't even need to say in the first place] and of it's impact on those who hear it [or hear of it, even]. I'm putting my hope on the fact that good will come out of this ickiness somehow, even if only in my own actions.

6. We got our [pretty significant] tax return the other day. I was thrilled to feel like we had no money worries, even for just a couple days . . . it's expensive raising 5 kiddos! It's pretty much all gone now, [the money, that is] but the good news is that we were able to pay off a couple of long-term capital campaign pledges that we pretty much made in faith, since they were kind of [seemingly] beyond our means. But we felt really lead to make these pledges anyway [one to CSC and one to Northwestern] The pledges weren't "due" for over a year, but now they are all "paid off". [which in turn will significantly boost our charitable giving for 2009 and get us another nifty refund next year . . . but that is just a nice perk/benefit and was not, at all, the goal in all of this] It feels terrific to know that these fabulous ministries have a little more money to work with now and that I won't have to think about those extra commitments again in the months to come when money might be a little tight! And if we can just hold on for less than a decade, [which I know will go super fast] by the time Jacob graduates from high school we should be mortgageless if we keep at it! What a day that will be. You think I'm excited now, just you wait!!!

7. Valentine's Day was great! The red, pink & white party at my mom's was extra fun. We did not eat a single thing that wasn't red, pink or white. The kids had fun and there was lot of love!!

The wonderful host & hostess of the evening

The Valentine-y Stoll's (all in red, pink & white!)

Lydia's Valentine hair [you know, since hair is one of my greatest talents!!]

8. I have a few friends [which is a few too many!] who have really sick kids right now. In and out of the hospital trying to get things figured out. My heart is heavy for them and I'm trying to remember to pray for them all the time. Having sick kids is a terrible feeling. So helpless and painful!

9. The 3 big kids were invited by my grandma [their piano teacher, who they call GG . . . for great grandma] to give a little mini concert/recital yesterday at the nursing home where she volunteers. [yup, I do realize it seems a little funny that a lady in her 80's would be volunteering at a nursing home where I'm sure some of the residents are younger than she is, but hey, good for her!] They each played a piece or two and did a great job. I think the residents appreciated it too. [In case you know her, that's Elaine DeYoe's head there, front and center.]


10. Sleep update: Joe still makes his way up to join us in our bed most every night. Anna is getting better lately . . . at least a little. She usually gets up once [about 3ish] to eat a little, snuggle, have me find her nuk and just generally be assured that we're still there. I'm feeling hopeful that by her birthday she might be sleeping all night . . . at least once in a while!

11. I signed us up for family camp at Trout! I think it will be tons of fun and that we will all love it. This was our one fun, family splurge out of our short-lived wealth [see #6]. It will be the perfect vacation for us . . . no planning on our part and an already-scheduled babysitter for each and every evening so mom & dad can have a little fun! All without having to step foot in the van or buckle anyone up for 5 whole days! Plus, there's a lake . . . swimming is always a hit!

4 comments:

  1. I like your positive outlook on life, even in the difficult times. You are absolutely right...words can be very painful, and it's a good reminder for all of us to be careful with what we say!

    Mortgageless in 10 years?! Wow...good for you two. Unfortunately, we're on the 30 year plan, and have only knocked off 5 of those years so far. Little by little...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Kirby are wonderful people! You are doing a great job raising your kids, and you are such a great example of Christ's love! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading your update!!

    I'm so sorry that you've been hurt by someone's careless words.

    We never outgrow being vulnerable to the thoughtlesness/mean spiritedness of other people.

    I hope that you feel better soon...

    Take care my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey - we are signed up for Trout Family camp, too! Which week did you sign up for? Glad to hear you caught 6 mice. That's sounds about right for a WHOLE BOX OF CEREAL! I will try to be at the Y tomorrow but Levi is home with strep. Grrrrr. Blessings,Jennifer Scott
    PS I WILL get you the cookies!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments . . . they make my day!