Saturday, April 4, 2009

What's that all about?

I was talking with a couple of my girls the other day {"Hi friends!"} and we were discussing something that I just can't get out of my mind. Ever since then it has been bugging me . . . which I guess is good because then I am more aware of it and can be more focused and intentional about doing something to change it.

So, we were talking about our kids and parenting and how tough it is. I said that if anyone else treated my kids the way I sometimes do I would be mortified. And I would never dream of treating anyone elses kids the way I sometimes treat my own. Now, I completely love and adore my children, so what in the world is that all about?

It would seem, though, that to a certain extent it is a timeless and universal problem. Even Paul had similar struggles:
We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do -- this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it. (Romans 7.14-20, emphasis mine!)
I find it a little funny how Paul worded this. All those "to do I do not do" . . . sounds almost silly when you read it, but I think most of us are thankful that he put words to his struggles {with some help from the Lord!} so that we can be encouraged by them. I know I am! Also, it popped into my head that that's a whole lot of "I do's" for a man who never got married!! :)

Thankfully that same guy also was able to say:
I can do everything through him who gives me strength. (Philippians 4.13)
What an encouragement that is . . . those words were written by the same guy. He struggled, but yet he knew that with the Lord he could do everything! Lord, I need some of that strength; thanks so much for your willingness and ability to give it!

I'm so thankful that I have the Lord to help me through this, but it's still SUPER hard and most days I mess it up. Arrrggghhh! Anybody know where I coming from on this one? It is so good to have people who you can struggles though things with. True friends who will listen and not judge, but at the same time challenge you to be better and not just let you gripe. . . I'm so thankful for my wonderful friends!

1 comment:

  1. I completely know where you are coming from! I often ask myself the question "What was that all about?" I think parenting would be impossible if not for God's strength, forgiveness, and new mercy every morning! Friends He gives us to walk out the journey are a big help too! :)

    You asked me a while back how I know Amanda. I don't, actually. I just follow the LPM blog. That's how I found you. :) I'm so glad I did!

    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments . . . they make my day!