Sunday, May 3, 2009

Overflowing with blessings

What a wonderful weekend!

It started out a little rough on Friday. Anna didn't feel good, so I took her in to the doctor and, sure enough, her ears are infected again. Argh! So we got her a Rx and headed home. Kirb was planning to take Friday off to recover from his really long, tough week at work but he ended up being sick too, {it didn't turn out to be H1N1, so no worries!!} so it was a good thing he had cleared his day and was able to be home.

When the big kids got home from school Lydia, Rebekah and I met my parents at a May Day celebration at a little flower shop in St. Paul. My dad knows the owner . . . she might start carrying my cards! Yeah! It was a fun, festive {crowded} event and we had a great time. Martha has a really fun shop. Stop on in if you ever need some beautiful flowers {she's near University & 280}! It was Lydia's night to sleep over at Ama & BopBop's so we parted ways after the May Day party and Rebekah and I had a little mom & daughter date. We try to spend one-on-one time with each of our kiddos, but as with all people it means more to some of them than to others. Anyway, Rebekah totally eats up the individual time! You would have thought I'd given her a million dollars the way she nearly glowed all evening. We had a great time together. She is such a great girl! She wanted to stop at Target on the way home {I think she just wanted to milk the evening for all she could} so we stopped. I didn't need anything . . . having just been there in the morning, but we wandered around anyway and Rebekah ate her free cookie at the bakery {in case you missed this all-important fact, Target will give a free cookie to kids to eat while they shop, it is often a life-saver for me and I love it!} We left the store with a bag of gummi bears {one if Kirb's favorties . . . mine too I must admit, but since Kirb was sick it gave us a good excuse to buy them} and a new hairbrush. Our current hairbrush is kind of old and cheap and plastic. The little roundish things have broken off the ends of many of the bristles and the girls complain that it scratches their heads {I use it too and I don't complain, but, you know . . .} so I broke down and let Rebeakah pick out a new one. She was thrilled!

Saturday was one blessing after another! My mom drove the 3 big kids to piano and Kirb {who was feeling pretty much better by then} and I got some stuff done around the house. We went to pick the kids up and enjoyed a little sunshine, some treats, a "baseball" game in the yard and a visit with my grandma {she teaches the kids piano}. Then we picked up a hot dogs, chips, cookies and pop at the little local grocery store in my parents neighborhood. They were serving free lunch to the community from 10-2. Yeah for that! Then we went to the grand opening of the temporary library location that is finally open {it was a long libraryless month for us while they were transitioning}. The kids got to play the wii and check out whatever they wanted. I was glad to have a library again, even if it is a little further from home! When we got home there was a very fun surprise blessing in our mailbox . . . you gotta love those! I love to get the mail. Even when there isn't extra fun stuff in there, it's just something little that I look forward to every day. When there are fun surprises {big or small} in there it just makes it that much better.

Saturday evening was the annual CSC banquet. It is always one of the highlights of my year. I love it! We visited CSC in 2004 and it is an experience that I will never forget! The banquet was great and was a huge blessing to us. It is fun to see lots of people that we don't get to see often enough. To see all the adoptive families and their kiddos and all the emotions that envokes is amazing. The offering this year was a tremendous blessing. The Lord chose this year, terrible economy and all, to be the year that the offering at the banquet broke into 6 digits. What fun! It was close to $108,000 this year, nearly $10,000 more than it ever has been before. Praise God!

Church on Sunday is always a blessing. We can home to beautiful weather. Kirb did some yard work, we spent time outside, I snuck in a little nap, the kids rode their bikes, I meet some girlfriends at Panera and chatted about books {increasing my list of "must reads" by about a half dozen!} and we ended the evening watching our church softball team and chatting with our friends while enjoying the gorgeous spring night. When we came home, I gave Joe a much-needed haircut. He hates having his hair cut, so actually doing it was kind of a drag. Kirb had to hold him down, but now I'm thrilled that it's done and I won't have to do it again for quite a while {it's SUPER short so that I can get all the life possible out of it before we have to do the pin him down, screaming mess all over again!}

What a great weekend! If you had a part in blessing us this weekend and helping lift the spirits of little ol' me, thanks! Now it's off to a new week full of more stresses and blessings and challenges and joys and meetings and diapers and lunches and laundry and friends and family and work and sunshine and all the other stuff that makes up our weeks. Have a good one!

1 comment:

  1. I looked for you at the CSC banquet, but never saw you. (This was the first time I'd ever been to one.) It was a blessing.

    After the banquet, I went with Brushabers (Amy & Don, that is) and several others to get a full tour of the new Brushaber Commons. I'm SOOO jealous! I saw some of it a few weeks ago, but saw more on Saturday.

    -Kim Werner

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments . . . they make my day!