Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Thankful Thursday

Incentive & motivation::

Incentive and motivation are both things that I think are good, and that I need. I'm not always a good self-starter. I get stuff done, but I often procrastinate and put off and don't actually get around to things until I really, really need to!

So, I've decided our entire family could benefit from a little of this two-some {incentive and motivation, that is!} to get our summer started on the right track! So today I am thankful for a little incentive and some motivation to get us movin'.

The kid's get super excited about summer reading programs. Even the one . . . or two . . . or three . . . or four . . . or five who might not be overly enthusiastic about reading the rest of the year are ready to go when you start handing them charts for the various summer reading programs around here. Traditionally we do the summer reading programs at Half Price Books, Barnes and Noble and the public library. Free books, gift certificates, state fair admission tickets, Culver's custard . . . who wouldn't love that kind of incentive? {I wish they had reading charts for adults too! I'd be all over it.} One year we even did a summer reading thing at Ikea and got a free bookcase out of the deal! Anyway, we are thankful, around here, for the many great summer reading programs the kids can take part in!

And, we wouldn't want the adults to miss out on the benefit of a little motivation and incentive, so once again {this'll be our second year} Kirb and I signed up for the "Lazyman Triathlon" at the Y. It's an entire Ironman Triathlon, but instead of doing it all in one day, {like the crazy ambitious, in seriously amazing shape people with insane amounts of energy and endurance . . . and who I also must add, often poop their pants as they go} you get 6 weeks to finish {and I promise not to poop my pants!}. So between the 1st of June and the 15th of July we have to {each} swim 2.5 miles, bike 112 miles and run {walk, more likely, in my case} 26.2 miles. I, for one, need a little incentive so I thought it would be fun to sign up again. This whole summer pregnancy thing might make me pretty lazy {and not at all in the "lazyman" kind of way!} over the summer without the goal of finishing}. Plus, I'm kind of a "responsible" type, so if I said I would do it then, by george, I'm gonna get it done. Plus, when we successfully complete our goals we get a t-shirt {and they are much cuter than the ones from 2009 . . . although they didn't come in maternity sizes, so I might not be able to wear mine right away after I earn it.} I'll update once in a while and let you know how we're doing. I'm excited!

So, we're thankful for a help help to get our butts in gear and start our summers off on the right track! How great is that?

2 comments:

  1. Ah I can't wait to be able to do a triathlon! How fun. Maybe we need to do something for motivation and incentive around here too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you are going to do the Lazyman again this summer. I was impressed last year and now you are doing it again when you are pregnant.
    You really put me to shame. I thought I was doing good by walking more in the past few weeks. You are giving me the motivation to set some physical goals for myself this summer! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments . . . they make my day!