Thursday, February 11, 2010

Thankful Thursday

I am thankful for Hope::

My life is wonderful! I have so much to be thankful for. Blessings more than I can count . . . but it's not perfect. Far from it! I know that compared to the vast majority of the people in the world I have it so, so good. But my "stuff" is my stuff. I know that many, many people have it much harder than me; I am aware of that. But I am living this life and it isn't always easy! I have challenges and struggles and times that I'm not sure I'll make it through. Days often seem long {although, like "they" say, the years seem short! . . . ah, the irony of life}.

Without hope that, in the end, all will be made right . . . someday, the struggles will be over . . . life will be perfect, I would be in a pretty bad state. So, I am thankful for the hope that I have. Hope that changes everything. Not a "this too shall pass" kind of hope, but more than that. Hope in the fact that I know I am on the winning team. In the end all will be made right! What a relief. A blessing. An assurance.

When you are pregnant {and then in labor} you cling to the promise that soon enough you will snuggle that fresh new babe in your arms. Look into those eyes. Count those fingers and toes, and revel in the new life you've been given. When that infant seems to sleep peacefully at all hours except when you want to {in the middle of the night} you hold on to the knowledge that this won't last forever . . . soon longer bouts of sleep will come. When that toddler is going through a particularly nasty phase {those phases usually go in 6-month cycles -- I'm not sure if that's an incouragement or a discouragement to at this particular point, but it will not last forever -- whichever end of it you currently find yourself!} you cling to the knowledge that they will cycle out of it . . . someday . . . right? When that toddler becomes a "tween" and the angst begins, along with the hormones, BO and general grumpiness, you remember that everyone must go through this yucky time in life to become who they will be. Hope. Hope that things won't always be this way! How great is that.

Hopelessness. The word alone makes me sad. To be without hope is so defeating. You might as well just give up.

Anna's favorite book lately is Just in Case you Ever Wonder by Max Lucado. It's taken me nearly 11 years, but I can finally get through the entire thing without shedding a tear. But the ideas still bring a joyful tear to my soul each and every time::
Most of all, I'll be here to teach you about God.
He loves you.
He protects you.
He and His angels are always watching over you.
And God wants me to make sure you know about heaven.
It's a wonderful place.
There are no tears there.
No monsters.
No mean people.
You never have to say "good-bye," or "good night," or "I'm hungry."
You never get cold or sick or afraid.
In heaven you are so close to God that He will hug you, just like I hug you. It's going to be wonderful. I will be there, too. I promise. We will be there together, forever. Remember that . . .
Just in case you ever wonder.

That is the hope that I'm talking about. If you don't have this same hope, there are some good resources here and here to help you learn more about it if you are interested.

Hope: I am so thankful for hope. Hope that tomorrow is a new day; that winter won't last forever; that we will make it. Hope that in the end there will be so much more than we can even imagine. Revelation 21.3-5 {from the Bible . . . at the end . . . where God wins!} says:
3And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."
5He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true."

That's the hope that I am so thankful for today!

1 comment:

  1. And you say you're not very deep...you preach it, girl! Thanks for the Word of encouragement. See you next week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments . . . they make my day!