Thursday, May 6, 2010

Thankful Thursday

It seems to have been an especially rough couple weeks in the world . . . my little world anyway. It seems like every day or two lately I've heard of a tragic death. None of them have been someone close to me, but someone close to someone I'm close to::a co-worker of Kirby's, a young woman who seems to have had a connection to most everyone I know, the unborn baby of my friend's sister-in-law, a local police officer . . . all just in the past week or two. Plus there have been other less-tragic, but still big, world-rocking sadness and tough times in the lives of those around me as well::job loss, chemo, awaiting results of tests {waiting is always so hard!}, unwelcome diagnosis, unanswered questions, seemingly futile job hunts, people with jobs that are a bad fit and make them miserable, major financial troubles . . . so many people are struggling.

It opens your eyes afresh to the fact that we can't take anyone, any day, anything at all for granted. I want to learn from this to love those around me more. Better. To make sure they know how much I love them. Hug the kiddos a little tighter. Re-evaluate how I spend my time, my energy . . . where I choose to be "happy Shana" and where I am a grump . . . and why on earth I let the most important people see the yuckiest me!

I have so very much to be thankful for::a way-better-than-average husband who loves me, 6 amazing kiddos {can't wait to meet that 6th one!}, great parents, an extended family that I love, wonderful friends and a fabulous community of people around me. I am thankful for the chance to remember once again how blessed I am and how very much I have to be thankful for in my life!

With Mother's Day this weekend, I am extra thankful for my mom. She is simply wonderful::kind, thoughtful, generous, a great friend {to me and others}, talented, patient, adorable. She hasn't had it too easy for much of her life, but you wouldn't know it. She sure is a trooper . . . I'm so glad she's mine. I love you, Mom!

I know Mother's Day is a tough one for lots of people::those with a rocky relationship with their mom, those who would like to be a mom {or a mom again} but aren't, mom's who have strained or broken relationships with one {or more} of their kids, those who have lost their mom {recently or years and years ago . . . I imagine that one never gets much easier}. What is a happy day of celebration for many brings pain and sadness to others. That just makes me sad! If you are one of those people, know that I'll be thinking of you this weekend and that I am thankful for you too!

3 comments:

  1. Good thoughts :)

    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are reminding us that we need to redeem our time here. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautifully written. :) It's great to be reminded of how much we have to be thankful for and to remember to look outside of our own lives and to carry some of the burdens of others around us. Hope that you have a wonderful and Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments . . . they make my day!