Saturday, October 17, 2009

verse 20

20 of 24 already. Yikes! I got the new Sara Groves album {in case you didn't already know, I am one of Sara's biggest fans. I LOVE her. Really love her! She's completely adorable, she named her firstborn Kirby, writes amazing music, sings beautifully, has lyrics that resonate with me like nothing else I've ever heard. I could go on, but this is about my verse -- really, it is -- and not about how wonderful Sara Groves is}. Anyway, one of my favorite songs on the new album, "Fireflies and Songs", is "Setting up the Pins" {let's be honest, I love them all, but this one has gotten me thinkin'}. This song makes me think of Ecclesiastes and so I was looking there and this verse stuck out to me. {I mean, who wants to memorize scripture about the meaningless, repetitiveness of life, right? But it's not ALL like that, you just gotta keep reading.} Anyway, Ecclesiastes 5.2 stuck out to me as a verse that would be a good one to have in my mind to refer to from time to time when I need it. So, verse #20: Ecclesiastes 5.2::
Do not be quick with your mouth, do not be hasty in your heart to utter anything before God. God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few. {Ecclesiastes 5.2 NIV}
I would venture to guess that I might not be the only one who could benefit from just reading that one over a couple times and thinking about it for a while. Maybe even try to memorize yourself, if you want to.

If you don't know about my "resolution" to memorize 24 scriptures in 2009 and you want to know what in the world I'm talkin' about, you can check it out here.

If you want to listen to a little clip of "Setting up the Pins", you can do it here but I'll warn you that the 27-second clip that they give you does not do justice to the song at all and doesn't give you much of a feel for the theme of the lyrics and how the resonate with Ecclesiastes. Anyway, you can listen to clips of all the songs if you want. Just be warned that you might become a Sara Groves fan too and need to buy all her albums . . . just don't say I didn't warn you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments . . . they make my day!