Thursday, April 14, 2011

thrifty thursday {sometimes you gotta change it up a bit!}

Alrighty, here's my first ever thrifty Thursday. I still have more than enough to be thankful for, but Monday has kind of taken that over, so here goes::

My kids love foamy soap! Plus, it seems to work better for kids since they don't always get that soap spread around enough to do it's job. So, did you know that the magic of foamy soap isn't in the soap at all? Nope, it's all in the pumper thing. So, instead of spending all your money on new foamy soap all the time, just do it once and then when it's gone fill it about 1/5 of the way with any liquid soap and then top it off with water. Another perk is that you don't have to get mad when your kids waste it by squirting it all over the sink, because really it's mostly water and they are entertaining themselves for a bit and who doesn't love that? It also works great in the bathtub. I squirt Anna with foamy soap when she's sitting in there and she thinks it's hilarious and it gets her clean. I bought a big liquid soap refill thing {Dr. Bronners is our favorite. It comes unscented or in lots of great smells -- when our peppermint is gone I want citrus . . . . or maybe almond} and we have probably been using it for at least 3 or 4 years . . . and I have way more hands than average to get washed at my house! So, it will last you practically forever. If you want you can take the money that you save and buy me a latte, that would be really sweet of you!

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read more of these! Fun!

    We do the same thing with out soap, but I can't claim it b/c it was Brad's idea. We had trouble using DrB's in the dispenser-it kept getting clogged up-have you had this? Now we use a couple squirts of our dish soap instead. LOVE the peppermint Dr.B's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have to try Dr. Bronners unscented sometime. :)

    Since we started using Goat Milk bar soaps, we've stopped using liquid hand soaps, but I used to do the same thing and recycle our old foam soap bottles with regular liquid soap mixed with water. It sure makes it last a LOT longer!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments . . . they make my day!